Thursday 10 November 2011

DSUK skier Tim Scott


Well done to Tim Scott - one of our skiers from Hemel Hempstead
Tim cycled 237 miles from London to Paris in just 3 days!!

Training has now begun for the next cycle - London to Brussels :)

On 19 July 2009 I was knocked off my motorbike which left me with a broken neck and other serious injuries, resulting in me being left paralysed from the chest down.  They say it's only when tragedy strikes that you know who your true friends are.  I have been touched, moved and humbled by all the wonderful support from friends at BRFC and throughout the rugby community.  I have now been able to order my new Power Trike which will enable me to get back to one of my great loves, coaching our up-and-coming young rugby stars.



As a result of the generosity shown to me and how humbling the experience has been, I now feel it is my duty to help other unfortunate people in my position.  Therefore on 29 September 2011 I will be taking up the challenge to cycle 237 miles from London to Paris - in 3 days!  It will be a tough cycle ride and I am undertaking a training programme to build up my physical strength and stamina in order to accomplish it.



Funds raised by the challenge will support the work of Regain, the only charitable organisation dedicated solely to improving the independence of people who have become tetraplegics (I am a tetraplegic) as a result of a sporting accident.  As I am sure you are all aware, rugby is a very physical game and occasionally spinal injuries do happen.



Regain provides support by purchasing equipment to help people lead more independent lives.  The charity currently has requests for items like computers, electric wheelchairs and sports wheelchairs totalling more than £250,000.  It is hoped the London to Paris Bike Ride will raise at least £50,000 towards the funds they need.



I would therefore be very grateful for any donation you feel able to make towards my sponsorship target of £2,000 I am striving to raise.  If you are able to help please go to my Just Giving web page at  http://www.justgiving.com/Timothy-Scott  and make a secure online donation.



Thank you in anticipation of your support and encouragement.  My webpage will be updated regularly with progress of my training and the challenge itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment